which controller to buy

which controller to buy

Postby Hanic » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Greetings All,
I'm just discovering Sous Vide and temperature controllers. I plan to use my crock pot with an appropriate controller, and also set it up for use on my smoker with a fan. I'm favoring the dual probe controller so I can conrtoll the temperature and end the process when the time is up (Sous Vide) or the proper internal temperature is reached (smoking). So, I want my controller to serve dual purpose, Sous Vide and smoker control. It seems that programable (multi-step) unit woould work well. My thought was to add an extra probe for grill or smoker use. Thats when I noticed the difference in probe jacks on the back of the unit. If I read the specs correctly, Type K thermocouples are the long, yellow plugs with blade shaped prongs, and RTD sensors are smaller round shaped with small pin connections. It seems that Type K units are less accurate but more durable and come in a greater variety of configurations to satisfy a greater diversity of uses, vs RTD. How accurate is type K, and is this good enough for Sous Vide?
Thermo works has a larger variety of probes availble which look very robust with braided and armored leads between probe and plug. Most of the Auber units have exposed wiring at the plug end which seem delicate. Can anyone help me understand the diffferences here and perhaps share some expieriences on efforts to dual purpose one of these controllers. Thanks in advance for any and all help, Hanic
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: which controller to buy

Postby colnny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 am

The RTD probe is very reliable. It's good for low temperature measurement. For sous vide, RTD probe is more accurate. The error can be within 1F. For K type thermocouple, the accuracy is up to 5F.

But the dual probe controller, the probe is not either thermocouple or RTD. It's 50K thermistor.
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Re: which controller to buy

Postby starrider » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:54 pm

[i][i]I have a small business in which I re-blue firearms. My Iron tank is 40" long by 6" wide and 6" deep. I have a high density 1200 watt heating element at each end, 2 total. the bluing chemicals need to reach at least 290 degrees F. but no more than 325 I can't figure out which controller I need. I don't even know if I can get to that temp using a 120 volt system. I would like to so I don't have to put in a 220 circuit. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. :x [/i][/i]
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: which controller to buy

Postby franky » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:08 pm

to starrider: the best way to do is test you system without any controller. wire your heating element full power then you see your result. i guess you could reach your temp with 110v. The controller could only reduce your power of the heating element, to your desired tepm. no matter what you use, it can not increase your hating capacity.
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: which controller to buy

Postby Daisy221 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:40 am

Hello there! I am newbie here .
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 am

Return to Controller for Sous Vide Cooking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest