Not able to get above 155 with WS-1211

Not able to get above 155 with WS-1211

Postby Devildoc99 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Needed to replace element and decided to get the 900 Watt which I put in and hooked up without any difficulties seen. Cooked several times using PID hooked up as diagrammed in setup instructions. Now, without warning , cannot get temp to get above 155. It holds it there. If I take the PID out of the config, the Bradley heats up no problem. With PID, only 155. Did factory reset, no better. Checked and double checked connections, all seems normal. Currently, have it in single mode set for 235. Not going above 155.

Thanks
Devildoc99

Re: Not able to get above 155 with WS-1211

Postby Kkane » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Please double check, if you use your 900W heater separately (not controlled by our controller), can it reach 235 or not?

If yes, then it should be no problem to drive your smoker to 235. When temp reaches 155, is the OUT light flashing or solid ON? If solid ON but temp cannot go up, please check whether your heating element is still powered ON. If your heating element is powered on but temp cannot go up, your heating element is bad or your connection is bad, or controller sensor is bad.

If OUT light is flashing, then something wrong with the controller settings. Please confirm C-1 is 235 and your P, I and D values are factory default.
Kkane

Postby Devildoc99 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Kkane wrote:Please double check, if you use your 900W heater separately (not controlled by our controller), can it reach 235 or not?

If yes, then it should be no problem to drive your smoker to 235. When temp reaches 155, is the OUT light flashing or solid ON? If solid ON but temp cannot go up, please check whether your heating element is still powered ON. If your heating element is powered on but temp cannot go up, your heating element is bad or your connection is bad, or controller sensor is bad.

If OUT light is flashing, then something wrong with the controller settings. Please confirm C-1 is 235 and your P, I and D values are factory default.

Thanks for your reply....

1) Yes, the Bradley will heat up to well over 300 without the PID in the config.
2) No, the light remains solid. The element is still powered on because it will maintain temp at 155, just will not go above.

I cooked ribs this afternoon using the Bradley without the PID attached. All seemed to work OK.

I'm beginning to think it might be the sensor. Seems to make most sense given that this setup did work at one point. I took the probe (sensor) out of the Bradley and put it on the bench, which should make the unit heat up continuously since the temp never attains past ambient, but it still was very pokey getting eventually only to about 120.
Or, is it the unit itself?
Do I order and try out a new sensor first. Seems like cheapest option. Is this a warranty issue?

Thanks again
Devildoc99

Postby Kkane » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Well. If the OUT light remains ON, the temperature should go up. Bradley smoker has good insulation. It will maintain at your current temperature for a while or will slowly go down, if your heater is OFF.

If you can find a multimeter, you can test the output voltage when temperature is 155 and OUT light is solid ON. If you get 120V AC, your controller is good, then something wrong for your wiring or smoker. If you only get 10V AC, your controller is bad. Or you can plug in an electric lamp for this test.
Kkane

Return to Bradley Smoker Controller